Last week, some of my coworkers joined me on a hike along a beach trail then a dip into the Pacific Ocean. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=528 This gem is just a 20 minute from our work yet feels like a million miles away from the crowded city of San Francisco. The hike is only 2 miles so we decided to explore a little more than just 2 miles. There are small paths through foliage and poison oak then on to larger dirt road. The views are GORGEOUS!
Here are my tips to finding local hikes:
* I use weekend sherpa for California. http://weekendsherpa.com/
* Yelp is actually another resource!
* All trails has a lot of information as well: https://www.alltrails.com/
* EXPLORE! Just find a local park or state park and start exploring.
* Do you live in an urban area? Head to the local park and walk around the boundaries
* Your local newspaper also has information about local hikes and adventures
I implore you to try and get out while it’s still summer and beautiful. Of course the San Francisco Bay Area isn’t as hot as other places, so we can hike year round. Hotter weather? Then make your hike a sunrise hike! Or go at dusk with some friends and a flashlight (stay on the trails!).
These are some of the supplies I take with me on a hike:
* Big water bottle
* Trail Mix or energy bar
* Dried Fruit
* A camera
* A journal to just sit and write about how you feel sitting in nature
* A book!
* Small first aid kit
What are your favorite local hikes? Do you like the hikes that are high and difficult or more leisurely? Have a great weekend!